Free 770 words essay on positive and negative effects of reality tv shows for school and college students.
In the middle of the ever going daily soaps, reality shows have made their own space in the hearts of the viewers. It all started with Big Brother and has taken on a whole new direction since. There have been comedy, dancing and singing shows that have played a very vital role in making the celebrity out of ordinary people. They have contributed significantly in shaping up the career of many ordinary individuals that otherwise would not have dared to do so. It has also brought out the hidden talents showcasing it to the world. However, like every other thing, it also has its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s discuss it one by one to get a better understanding of the reality TV shows.
Advantages of Reality Shows
- Stardom For The Ordinary: These reality shows give a platform to the ordinary individuals for showcasing their extraordinary talent. They are admired by the viewers and gain popularity in no time. Through these shows they realise their dream without any contact from the industry or a godfather. Reality shows are a blessing for many.
- Awareness: Many reality shows brings the awareness of the crimes happening around in the society that we, otherwise, may not be aware of. They also help us in finding a way to fight them in the best possible way. They also teach us about how to cope with the after effects of any trauma.
- Social Issues: Some reality shows are also made to bring into light different social issues that are still alive in many areas of the country. They have, in many ways, played an important role in women empowerment, eradicating child labours and many such issues. It has also made the ordinary people aware of the perils of addictions of alcohol and drugs.
- Encouraging Donations and Social Welfare: Many reality TV shows have encouraged donations and acts of social welfare from the common people. And in the influence of them, they have responded positively.
Disadvantages of Reality Shows
- Deceptive: The reality shows on the TV in real have nothing true. They are scripted to the word and are closely doctored. In the beginning, audiences fell for the pretence but now each one of us knows that every act and every dialogue delivered in these shows are pre planned. Even the fights that are staged are for gaining the Television ratings for the show. This makes it deceptive and it gets hard to understand what to believe and what not to believe.
- Negative Impact on The Youngsters: Everything that teens see on the TV affects their mind. The stars, now a days, thrives mostly on the sensationalism and the youngsters have started following their lead. They see the stunts on TV try to perform them in real life, ignoring the fact that on the TV, the stunts are done under the controlled environment. The teens usually get harmed during the process. Contestants in some reality shows use aggressiveness and mean behaviour with the abusive language for winning. The teens find it cool and think it is okay to behave in the same way.
- Violence: In one way or another, these shows have been a contributing factor in increased violence among the population, especially youngsters. The abusive shows have found their way in the reality shows since they are liked most by the viewers. Watching them, the audience also acts the same. Sometimes, most criminal minds derive their plan of the crime by watching the reality shows, trying to cover the tracks by watching the crime shows.
- Depression: The reality TV shows have made its audience; especially the young ones believe that they are the shortcut to fame and money. In order to attain both of them in a short time, they give everything to get into one. When failed, they get into depression and often begin thinking that they are no good.
Reality shows have both the good and the evil in them. On one hand, they make some very successful and on other the ones who don’t succeed often succumbed to depression. This makes them lose on any chance of success. In one hand it creates awareness about the types of crime and problems going on in the society and on another, it gives way to violence in the mind of teens. These shows are just opposite to what they are named. With every word and action scripted, they are as good as daily soaps apart from the fact that they really do give real chance to the viewers to become what they otherwise might not even dream of.