Free 625 words essay on positive and negative effects of World War 2 for school and college students.
Consequences of World War 2
World War 2 was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945. It was majorly an extension of World War 1, involving virtually the whole world. It led to the formation of two opposing military alliances – the Allies and the Axis. It was the largest or the bloodiest war which incurred almost 50 million to 85 million deaths.
The Second World War is said to have begun on 1st September 1939 with the invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany and subsequent declaration of war on Germany by France and the United Kingdom. In a series of campaigns and treaties from 1939 to early 1941, Germany conquered much of continental Europe making an Axis Alliance with Italy and Japan. The Allies Powers were formed by– France, Great Britain, the United States, the Soviet Union and, to a lesser extent, China. With lots of invasions and defeats occurring in the subsequent years, the war in Europe finally concluded with the invasion of Germany by the Western Allies and the Soviet Union, leading to unconditional surrender by Germany on 8th May 1945. This was followed by dropping of atomic bombs by the United States on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on 6th and 9th August respectively, because of Japan’s refusal to surrender. Finally, with the surrender of Japan, and the total victory of Allies on 15th August 1945, the war in Asia ended. The atomic bombing changed the way the United States was looked upon, making the United States a World Power.
Positive impact of World War 2-
- The United Nations was established to facilitate international co-operation and avert future conflicts. The United States, the Soviet Union, China, the United Kingdom and France became the permanent members of this International Council. Thus, it evoked peace globally.
- Second World War led to the end of dictatorship esp. in Europe. It ended segregation which gave many races great new benefits.
- The Soviet Union greatly benefited in terms of expansion in its territory. It seized parts of Poland, Finland, Germany and Japan to its boundaries.
- Technology progressed enormously. Radar was developed by the English which became the forerunner of television. There was development in Electronics and Computers, which served as a platform for further development. The development of atomic bombs let to the emergence of Nuclear Power Industry.
- New technologies to fight diseases were developed during the war, which led to further inventions and development and lowered mortality rate.
- New job opportunities emerged enormously as a result of the war. The companies manufacturing warfare materials developed rapidly.
- There occurred a drastic growth in the economy. It was due to the mass production of war materials.
Read Also : Essay On Refugee Problems Around The World
Negative Impacts of World War 2-
- All the economic and social laws were relaxed in order to increase military workforce. Example being Antitrust Legislation, Labour Laws to increase labour time to achieve desired increased production, Child Labour Laws to strengthen manpower, etc. Many businesses suffered loss in manpower/ labours because of their magnified infringement into the military use. The involved women and children who made employment during the war when the shortages had to be taken care of, were terminated from employment post-war which raised concerns for their economy.
- The U.S. federal deficit increased as war consumption was inflating. It had increased from 9 to 98.5 billion USD during the Second World War.
- Germany was greatly affected by the Second World War as it was annexed by four nations, including Great Britain, Soviet Union, United States and France.
- Despite mushrooming job opportunities, Poverty continued to expand because of low wages and reduced Government assistance in the United States.
- European economy came to a standstill.
- There was a massive loss of millions of lives, which in no way can match any positive effect that was accomplished.