Free 760 words essay on positive and negative impacts of technology on students for school and college students.
Technology concerns to the pragmatic implementation of scientific knowledge for a purpose. It has revolutionised our lives in a complete way. It includes the ability and skills required to apply the knowledge. It is now a big and important part of our society and our foreseeable future that we cannot imagine our society and future devoid of it. The impact and requirement of technology in our lives, today, is immeasurable. For example, the device you are using to read this is a product of technology. Development of technology is not restricted to a particular area. Ever one is speaking about the importance of technology in schools. There has been widespread adoption and adaption of technology that has completely changed how teachers and professors teach and students learn.
Technology is one of the best things, and that it has its numerous advantages in the field of education, but we cannot forget that with each technological element we gain some disadvantages as well as advantages. People tend to overlook those disadvantages but everything has to be kept in mind while using any technology. Listed below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of technology:
ADVANTAGES OF TECHNOLOGY:
- Technology improves the way of communication with the development of advanced communication technology tools such as email, internet, telephone, printing press, and other communication technologies. It helps students to communicate on global scale with a lot of ease and learn things.
- It is believed that technology often helps them to retain information in a better way. According to a study held, the results show that technology indeed helps students remember what they learn.
- Technology offers easy access to information at anytime and anywhere you want. With the development of internet the easy access and transfer of information has been promoted. It has caused convenience in education. Any answer to any question can easily be found with a few clicks of the keys on the computer or smart phone. They provide powerful search engines, which allow an organized and simple ways to find the answers that students may need for assignments or projects.
- Technology creates interest. Learning the same exact way from the same person every day becomes boring. This results into a lack of motivation in the students. When they are able to adopt computer learning into their normal schedule, they become much more activated and excited to learn.
- It has caused convenience of traveling for students. Development of metros in cities has reduced the travel time and increasing the work time.
- It has encouraged innovation and creativity like it is very easy to start a job today even from home.
- Technology has broadened the mind of students. Initially, children learnt from their family. This developed their political and religious views to be the only ones that the children knew. The development of internet exposed them to things outside of their parents’ knowledge and interests and helped them to form their own opinions.
- Technology has reduced the weight of bagpacks. The backpacks of students are generally loaded down with the tons of textbooks; now this would no longer be a problem when all learning resources for their education would through technology.
DISADVANTAGES OF TECHNOLOGY:
- Technology tends to reduce competency. There has been increased dependency on modern tools, which reduces our creativity and intelligence. Students are so addicted that they feel helpless if any of these sources fails to perform the task so performed.
- The wealth of excess information on the internet is easily over shadowed by the amount of vulgar things present as well. Hateful things, violence, pornographic materials and others, can all be accessed by students leading to a problem.
- The biggest enemy of students is cheating. Technology in education has made cheating for students very easy. They are now able to simply find an answer to a question with a few clicks.
- It is true that everything on the Internet is not true. As it is open for anyone to post anything on the internet, this leads to a question of its credibility. Students rely on everything they get on internet, which leads to failure in some cases.
- Students need to pay a high price for the newest and most up to date technology. Now this is difficult for most public schools to do because of the sheer cost. Then, it is also difficult for parents as the students adapt themselves to some technology, which they do not have at home.
- It often results in lack of interest in studying by making students vulnerable to potential pitfalls.