We live in a technologically advanced world. The technology has brought a lot of changes to the world we live in. However, religion is something which even the technology couldn’t change to date. Religion is a set of beliefs held by different groups of people.
As of now, there are about 10,000 religions all over the world. The most prominent religions among them are Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism, Taoism, Judaism, and Buddhism. There are also many other folk religions across the globe. The concept of religions became prominent during the 16th and 17th century. Today, there are also many educational disciplines which concentrate on the study of the different types of religions in the world.
In the current world, religion has become the identity of each individual. Some people consider their religion as superior to all the other religions. Many attacks and violence which are being reported today are mainly in the name of religion. Hence, it is clear that the existence of religion has both advantages and disadvantages.
Below mentioned are some of the merits and demerits of religion in our lives and society.
Advantages of Religion
- All the religions have their own religious texts and stories. These literary books help to develop a code of conduct in people. Also, they have a lot of mythological stories which provide different morals. This will give all the people who hold the religious beliefs an understanding of what is right and wrong in their lives.
- Religion gives hope to all the people who are passing through a rough phase of life. The belief of having a superior power to help them from all the hardships of life will motivate them to overcome all the obstacles.
- Religion gives emphasis to the different cultures and beliefs of a society. In the modern world, where people give importance to technology and fashion, religion is important to keep them bound to the culture.
- It encourages people to get rid of their bad habits and lead a happy and healthy life. If used properly, religion will help to bring together people of different social and economic status.
- We all have the questions related to our origin and the ancestors. The religion provides answers to all such intriguing questions. It also gives us knowledge about the life of our ancestors and their lifestyles.
Disadvantages of Religion
- Even though some of the religious facts are true, not all can be believed blindly. They also do not comply with the scientific theories. Hence, a lot of religious preachers and leaders try to interfere with the scientific research and developments. A lot of scientific studies fail to gain the recognition just because of the intervention of the religion.
- Religion has a lot of beliefs which are to be strictly followed by all the people. This may not be comfortable for all. Some of the beliefs of religion are far beyond any logic and common sense.
- Many riots happen in different parts of the world due to the influence of religion. Hence, irrespective of the various advantages, religion also has the ability to destroy the peace and happiness of people.
- Giving more importance to religion divides people. Even though people of the same religion get along, it discriminates people on the basis of religion. This disrupts the harmony in the society.
- Religion does not allow people to create any changes in the culture and the traditions. New ideas are not welcome by almost all the religions. This discourages people from fighting against different social issues in the world.
- People who follow these beliefs blindly will believe more on the fate and destiny rather than working hard to achieve their dreams.
- Religious leaders and priests often utilize the blind faith of the people to engage themselves in corruption.
- Religions support many social evils such as slavery, the sacrifice of human and animal lives, etc. Without even thinking about the consequence the followers perform these evil practices thinking that it would yield them luck and success in their lives.
From a broader perspective, we can say that religion can be both advantageous and disadvantageous to us. The effect of religion on our society and on us depends on the way we utilize it. Religion is one of the most powerful tools which can be used to destroy or comfort people.
Many people who trust the proven theories of science find it very hard to believe some of the beliefs of religion. Rather than putting your blind faith in religion, if you use your common sense and knowledge, you will be able to make the right use of it.