We live in the 21st century, where all the women are said to be completely empowered. But is this really true? Do you think that all the women across the world have the right to make their own decisions? I don’t think so. It is true in some parts of the world, whereas in the developing and under-developed countries, women do not have the equal status as that of men.
Women empowerment is one of the major issues addressed by the United Nations. Many agencies strive hard to ensure the all the women with equal rights to education, employment, politics, inheritance, marriage, and religion. Women have the same caliber as that of men. Hence, confining them within the four walls of a house is unjustifiable.
The Obstacles in the Path of Women Empowerment
Do you know what the obstacles in the path of women empowerment are? Let us see some of the major barriers which prevent women from achieving success in their lives.
- Even though we live in the industrially revolutionized 21st century, the majority of people still practice the same beliefs as that in the 18th and 19th century. They are not ready to accept the fact that women are equally capable as men. There are some people who prefer to see women only as slaves to men.
- Do you all have a safe working environment? This is one of the major barriers which impede the women from attaining their dreams. There are some women who work hard regardless of the number of sarcastic comments and discouragements they receive in their offices. Almost all these negative comments arise because of the fact that they are women.
- It is not the work environments that discourage women. Hampering of the confidence of level of a girl usually begins at her home. The parents who give more importance to their sons rather than their daughters fail to realize that they are, in fact, ruining the future of a nation.
- There are a lot of incidents happening around the world which prove that the outside world is not safe for women. Parents who support the dreams of their daughters are also scared for their children’s safety.
- A majority of the people across the globe still hold orthodox beliefs. When a girl gets married, she is loaded with all the responsibilities of the family members and the house chores. Without a support system in the new home, she will not be able to pursue her dreams.
Women Empowerment in Different Sectors of the Economy
- Empowerment of women in the society – This means that all the women have equal rights as that of women. Gender equality ensures that women can enjoy all the opportunities, rights, etc., irrespective of their gender.
- Educational empowerment of women – This refers to empowering of women with all the skills and knowledge which are essential to further their studies and achieve their dreams.
- Women empowerment in the legal system – This is to ensure that all the laws passed in a jurisdiction support the empowerment of women.
- Economic and occupational empowerment of women – This ensures that men do not suppress any women. It also means that all women have equal rights to enjoy a quality life like men and they also have the right to live their life without depending on any male family member or spouse.
- Women empowerment in the field of politics – This implies the equal participation of both men and women in politics. They have all rights to take part in the decision-making procedure in the politics.
Importance of Women Empowerment
- Educated and talented women can contribute to the economic growth of the country. Hence, empowering women will not only benefit them but also the entire nation by developing a better standard of living
- Women empowerment is essential to reduce the rate of female foeticide in different parts of the world.
- There are a lot of women who suffer sexual harassment in their personal and professional lives. Women empowerment helps to eliminate this problem for the society.
- Even though some women are more talented than men, they do not get the opportunities just because of their gender. This issue can be addressed properly with the help of women empowerment.
- Domestic violence usually happens with uneducated women. Women empowerment ensures that all the women are educated and hence, they can fight against this issue.
Also Read: Essay on importance of girl education
In short, women empowerment is necessary for the overall development of a society and a nation. If given the necessary opportunity, all the women will be able to showcase their talent before the whole world. When we discourage our daughters from achieving their dreams, we have to realize that success depends on the talent and not on the gender of a person.