Essay on poverty in the United States
Poverty is a state in which people get deprived of the basic amenities in life. As per the various studies, all the inhabitants of the United States undergo such a situation at least once. The US government has set a “poverty threshold”. This is used to measure the poverty rate in the country.
The surveys done on the poverty rate in the US, it is evident people in the US suffer poverty at least once between 25-75 years of age. Also, it is seen that the rate of poverty is higher in the rural parts of the city compared to the urban areas.
The rate of poverty in the US varies each year. For instance, in the year 2015, the poverty in the country was estimated to be about 13.5%. This accounts for about 43.1 million people.
Causes of poverty in the United States
Some of the well-known causes of poverty in the country are listed below.
- Racism is one of the major reasons for poverty. Almost 25% of the black people in the US endure poverty. Because of their skin color, they are provided with only very low income. Hence, they do not have any option other than to live in poverty.
- Change in the economy of the country has affected those who are less skilled. It is true that with the advent of technology, a number of industries have developed in the country. This has led to a large number of job opportunities. However, all the organizations require only highly skilled labors. As a result, people who do not have the necessary skills remain unemployed and lives in poverty.
- Lack of proper education is one of the major causes of poverty in the United States. This country does not give any compulsory education nor do they create awareness on the importance of education. Hence, people do not take any initiative in getting educated or trained enough to apply for a job. Without proper education and skills, many Americans endure poverty and unemployment.
- Divorce rates are higher in the United States. This is also a reason for the increasing rate of poverty in the country. The families led by a single parent are seen to be poorer compared to the families led by both the parents. Due to the struggles faced by the single parent, he/she fails to find necessary skills as well as a proper job with a good salary. Thus, the entire family gets gradually dragged into poverty.
- There are no enough government policies to uproot the various factors which are responsible for poverty. Though a number of laws and policies have been created, they do not take any action to implement them efficiently. This is the reason why the poverty rate in the US is increasing day-by-day.
Methods to Reduce Poverty in the United States
- Education is very important to eliminate poverty. Hence, the US government has to take necessary action to provide more educational facilities for the children. With better educational facilities, they will be able to enhance all their abilities.
- The majority of the population in the US who endure poverty, lack skills and education. Therefore, it is necessary to create more employment opportunities for such people. The opportunities given to them should be such that they can earn enough money to uplift their life as well as gain the necessary skills to attain a better job in the future.
- There are some industries or organizations in the US which provide fewer wages for the workers. The government should take necessary action to increase these wages. This will help to reduce the problems of poverty to a certain extent.
- There are many small-scale industries which struggle for their growth and existence in the current competitive market. It is important to encourage such small industries. By promoting their products and services, we will be able to create more job opportunities. This will help to reduce the rate of poverty in the country.
- As per the studies, the majority of the Americans spend a lot of money earned, to buy own vehicles. It is, hence, important to create an awareness among the people about the importance of public transportation. Using public vehicles will help them to save fuel as well as money. This will also help to reduce the increasing rate of poverty.
In short, more than half of the people living in the United States endure poverty every year. Proper care and necessary measures have to be taken to eliminate this problem. Ignoring the increasing rate of poverty might eventually cause the downfall of the entire country.Tags: essay on poverty in us, essay on povarty, poverty in the us essay, what the biggest problem facing american poverty essay, essay about poverty