Essay on the Sun
Sun is a yellow colored star which emits heat, light, and energy. It is situated at the center of the solar system and all the planets, including our earth, revolves around it. The sun has a mass of 1.989 x 1030 Kg and is located at a distance of 150 x 106 kilometers away from the earth. The sun is also 333,000 times heavier than our planet.
Without the presence of the sun, our entire existence on the earth would have become impossible. The earth would have been filled with ice rocks instead of life. The light traveling at a speed of 300,000 kilometers from the sun takes about 8 minutes to reach the earth. This heat, light, and energy from the sun are utilized by all the living being on the earth.
The characteristics about the sun
The sun is an important star that supports our life on the earth. Hence, it is essential to have an idea about the important characteristics of that star.
- The diameter of the sun is 1,391,000 kilometers.
- Unlike the other planets which revolve around the sun, this star rotates on its own axis. It also takes 25 days to turn once on its axis.
- The sun has a gravity of 27.94 g which is 28 times more than that of the earth.
- The temperature on the surface of the sun is 5,800 Kelvin and its atmosphere is filled with hydrogen.
The importance of the sun
Photosynthesis – The plants prepare their own food with the help of photosynthesis. They also absorb the excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and emit the oxygen required for our respiration process. To conduct this process, the plants require the energy from the sun. In the absence of the sun, this entire process will not happen. This will be harmful to both the plants, animals and the human beings.
Water cycle – The water cycle is the process in which the sun plays an important role in the evaporation process. If evaporation doesn’t happen, the clouds will not be formed and no condensation will happen. In short, we will not get any rain. Without the sun the water cycle will not remain intact.
Helps to reduce the pains – The light energy from the sun has the ability to cure many diseases. One such health benefit is that it helps to reduce all the joint and muscle pains caused by the inflammatory disorders like arthritis.
Keeps your skin healthy – There are many people around the world who suffer from a number of skin diseases. The sunlight is rich in vitamin D which is one of the main factors required to keep the skin healthy. It also helps to prevent skin cancer and the various other conditions like eczema, acne, and psoriasis.
Keeps people more energetic – The various studies show that the sunlight provides energy to people. People tend to be more energetic during the summer than in the winter season.
Enhances the immunity – The sun’s rays have the ability to improve the immune system. The production of the white blood cells is more in a person exposed to sunlight. Hence, your body will be able to fight all the infections better.
Prevents the nervous disorders – Multiple Sclerosis is a life-threatening disease of the central nervous system. It leads to tumors and paralysis in people. Different studies conducted show that the children who are exposed to the sunlight become less susceptible to this disease in their future life.
Prevents Diabetes – The vitamin D present in the sunlight is found to be very important to reduce the risk of diabetes in people.
Harmful Effects of the Sun
- Even though the sun helps to prevent a number of diseases, excess exposure to the sun is also not good for the health. The UV rays will cause a lot of skin diseases like cancer.
- Sunburns are common in people who stay under the sun for a long period of time. The symptoms of severe sunburns are headache, vomiting, pain, etc.
- Long-term exposure of the eyes to the sunlight can cause damage to the retina. The UV rays also lead to the development of cataract problems in adults.
- Heat stroke is one of the common problems heard during the summer seasons. When a person gets exposed to the intense heat of the sun, it increases his temperature to reach above 106 degrees Fahrenheit within the 10-15 minutes. This, if not treated immediately can even cause the death of the person.
The sun hence plays an important role in our lives. From the above merits and demerits, it is clear that the mild or medium exposure to the sun can be very beneficial for our health. In spite of all the demerits, we cannot imagine a life on the earth without the sun.Tags: essay on the Sun, how do you start a essay about the sun